Blog break: the footie's calling...

My dear readers,

Sorry, but ya kno' every 4 years I gotta go a wee bit nuts.  So, hmm... I won't be around much over the next two weeks, but please do feel free to explore my archives via the menu bar in the header or via the most-read posts which I've linked for you on the lower side bar.



To my PLN, I'll see ya on Twitter every now and then!

Now go wave your flag,

Karenne
imagecredit: football world cup by chooyutshing


p.s. quick rant: Why on earth do Americans insist on calling The Beautiful Game soccer and passing on this misinformation to the rest of the world...  I mean the game they play is with their hands.... but logic dictates that man running to connect Foot to Ball = Football.

Man running, stopping for commercial breaks, with egg-shaped non-rolly thing in hand = Comhandegg?


It's not that complicated, is it?  ;-) ;-)


RT: @Britsmiles RT @marekandrews: Football is a language, if you don't speak it, get yourself an interpreter -quick! #worldcupFri Jun 11 07:30:32 via web



u got the spirit RT @kalinagoenglish: Somos unidos, oh, give me freedom, give me fire...en las calles...celebrando...el partido va comencarThu Jun 10 21:05:30 via TweetDeck


Useful links related to this posting: 
World Cup referees learning English swear words
World Cup calendar
World Cup kick-off concert
World Cup on Twitter

From the ELT world
Getting the ball rolling in South Africa (Spotlight magazine)
World Cup crossword and Qualifying countries by Sue Lyon Jones
World Cup news lesson by Sean Banville

From the ELT bloggers
World Cup commercials by David Deubel
World Cup links by Larry Ferlazzo
World Cup links to 42 resources by Sean Banville
World Cup Spelling by Johanna Stirling

My fave video





10 Responses to “Blog break: the footie's calling...”

  • Peter Fenton says:
    June 11, 2010

    Hi,

    Yeah, this world cup lark has come at a really bad time for me - just when I'm really busy and have loads to do, can't they postpone it for a few months just for me? ;)

    Due respect to those people who won't be taken in by all the ridiculous hype though. I'm a huge football fan and I even I get sick of the non-stop coverage all the time.

    I'm pretty sure soccer is actually an English word. It was used to distinguish between association football and rugby football, so can't go blaming the Americans too much for that one!

  • Seth Dickens says:
    June 11, 2010

    Methinks that you ain't too positive about the progress your team is going to make.

    Sorry, but ya kno' every 4 years I gotta go a wee bit nuts. So, hmm... I won't be around much over the next two weeks

    You might want to watch some of the rest of the World cup. Y'know :D It finishes in early/mid July!

    We've got BBQs in the garden with projection of the matches onto the wall planned. What about you guys?

    Happy footy watching!

  • Mike Church says:
    June 11, 2010

    Enjoy your break, Karenne. I'd rather formed the impression that you were neither a football fan nor a TV addict, but I'm happy to be corrected :)

    I for one shall miss your blog entries. Fortunately, however, there is still tons of stuff here I've not yet got round to reading.

    Take care

    PS. *** SPOILER ALERT ***

    England to beat Spain 3-2 in the final (0-1 Torres 17', 0-2 Villa 39', 1-2 Gerrard 48', 2-2 Rooney 55', 3-2 Rooney 87').

  • Deborah Capras says:
    June 11, 2010

    I agree Karenne. I've just finished watching the first match. Great that the first goal was for South Africa!

    I suppose you could blog between the matches...

    Colin's prediction is uncannily spot on, btw.

  • KALINAGO ENGLISH says:
    June 12, 2010

    Hehe, Seth - it's usually mostly nuts in only the first 2 weeks (so many games)... but my team will be making it all the way through. Cross fingers.

    Here it's just the bars... which is kinda sad. In 2006, they set up giant TV screens in a central park and everyday (I mean everyday) I'd finish classes and then go spend rest of the day lying with picnic blanket, drinking beer and watching the footie. Was absolutely awesome!

  • KALINAGO ENGLISH says:
    June 12, 2010

    Deborah, no blogging.... no blogging - I will fight my addiction and win!

    Hey Colin, thanks! Yeah, you mean from the youtube interview video thang... well, it is true that my tv is not connected to the wall and receives no transmissions but it is connected to the video :-) so I'm not so so a diehard, just decided to give myself a break from nonsense tv except when I rent an entire box series of the Shield or Desperate Housewives....

    And the footie... well, that's not TV that's, that's, that's manna.

    :-)

  • KALINAGO ENGLISH says:
    June 12, 2010

    Peter, :-( sorry no postponing of the Beautiful Game... I hear you tho' and that's why I decided to take a wee break from blogging.

    2 big deadlines, an article to write, a case-study, guest-posts to email out and the Footie - finish organizing and promoting our Teaching Association's TechToolsDay for July 17... something just had to give!

    Ta! For the correction on the soccer - still dislike that word though :)

  • Mike Church says:
    June 12, 2010

    I'm going to follow suit, Karenne, and give blogging a rest. I don't want to miss England's walloping USA 4-1 tonight. Hope you enjoy Germany's goalless draw with Austria tomorrow :)

  • Kids Online English says:
    June 17, 2010

    I asked my boss if I can take half days for a month! He is a big football fan too so he said yes! Nice.

  • Anne says:
    June 17, 2010

    Hehehe I'm on strike, too ;)

 

Visitors and Regular Readers

Facebook

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Communities of Practice

Directories, catalogs and Back Links

Adult Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory Add to Technorati Favorites



The EFL ESL Blog List TotalESL.com - ESL/EFL/TEFL Teaching Jobs and Teacher Resumes

International Blogging Directory

Recent Posts

Simply Conversations

Pedagogically sound materials designed to get your students actively talking:

Free Samples
Conversation Control

Shop
General English
Business English
ESP



Learn more on why these work