Medius bloggin'

I have these random thoughts...

Sometimes they're troubling questions or fascinating revelations - sometimes I decide a few days later that the idea was nothing more than a load of tosh... but sometimes those thoughts turn into full blown pieces, develop on into rants or even series of rants...

Sometimes, something I read in an ELT magazine or a business book or a PLN's tweet made me go 'huh?' and three hours later my head's still spinning... or I've suddenly clicked and realized how wrong I was about a blah, blah philosophy... sometimes these ideas turn into macro-sized posts... sometimes I send them out into the Twitterverse....

But sometimes I need a bit more space than the microblogging 140 character limitation to express these ponderings and sometimes I just don't have the time to put in 2 - 6 hours on fleshing something out, properly linking on etc (which is probably why I have so many drafts in the queue)... and sometimes I've read something that is just like wow! and I want to share it.

So I'm thinking I'm going to start daily media blogging...


Here's the first:


What's the thing with collecting numbers?

Each time I see someone tweeting out the number of followers they've got or the number of hits a blog (post) received or the number of members currently in their Ning yet no word on what the exact function of collecting the members is... or how many people attended a presentation on blah, blah or who've watched their youtube video...

I think: And?

Why do so many of us measure success by counting things?

Does it come from when we migrated to caves - when we counted the dug-up yams before the soil froze over in order to know exactly how many of us would survive? Or was it all about having the most bananas and attracting the prettiest ape ensuring the survival of our own gene pool?

Is it because quality itself is uncountable?

Counting the bananas and yams while not determining whether they'll ripen or poison still tells someone something?

Jes' wondering...


Best,
Karenne

4 Responses to “Medius bloggin'”

  • Anonymous says:
    January 01, 2010

    I fully agree with you : why counting. And also : why making a "hit parade" out of everything ? the 10 best this, the 20 best that? quantity is more and more equalled to quality. TV counts the number of people viewing the programmes to decide on the value of the programme, and thus lots of quality TV programmes end up into the bin. Hence the catastrophic state of the French TV.

    Alice M

  • Darren says:
    May 21, 2010

    ....but not many comments on this one ; P

    Seriously though. I'd take one good comment over 100 views any day... it's all about the exchange of ideas, right? I'm often surprised to find out that someone has been reading but never commented.

  • KALINAGO ENGLISH says:
    May 21, 2010

    Agreed! To be honest I think many readers still feel quite intimidated by the conversations on blogs and worry that if they say something filled with typos they'll look silly - but like you I prefer comments over page-views, yet do recognize that the more PV you have the more likely someone will say something!

  • Darren says:
    May 22, 2010

    I have a great friend who reads every post I write, then picks it apart when she sees me, but she won't comment. She says she doesn't want to be the dumbest person on the page! Fair enough, that's my job....

 

Visitors and Regular Readers

Facebook

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Communities of Practice

Blog Archive

Directories, catalogs and Back Links

Adult Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory Add to Technorati Favorites



The EFL ESL Blog List TotalESL.com - ESL/EFL/TEFL Teaching Jobs and Teacher Resumes

International Blogging Directory

Recent Posts

Simply Conversations

Pedagogically sound materials designed to get your students actively talking:

Free Samples
Conversation Control

Shop
General English
Business English
ESP



Learn more on why these work